Simple question from a beginner

General discussion for MicroDicom viewer
Baffle

Simple question from a beginner

Post by Baffle »

Hello people. I have some data from scans of an archaeological object that I am trying to analyse. I have installed MicroDicom and loaded a folder of data, and I can review the images.
The default view of my data is from the "front" (excuse my unmedical terms) (attachment View A) but I really need to see my data from "above" (attachment View C). I have tried all the flips and rotations I can find, but this is not changing the plane of the view at all - simply rotating or mirroring the same plane. Is there any way I can view my data from "above", or is this not possible? Thinking about this, all the images I have, would need to be loaded and then the plane changed, for all the data to be assimilated - so as I write I think I am answering my own question....but just in case I haven't, can anyone advise? Perhaps this was a function of when the data was exported when the object was scanned - the plane of the export needed to be different.
thanks
Matt
Attachments
ViewsABC.png
ViewsABC.png (7.77 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ymor

Re: Simple question from a beginner

Post by ymor »

Baffle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:01 pm Hello people. I have some data from scans of an archaeological object that I am trying to analyse. I have installed MicroDicom and loaded a folder of data, and I can review the images.
The default view of my data is from the "front" (excuse my unmedical terms) (attachment View A) but I really need to see my data from "above" (attachment View C). I have tried all the flips and rotations I can find, but this is not changing the plane of the view at all - simply rotating or mirroring the same plane. Is there any way I can view my data from "above", or is this not possible? Thinking about this, all the images I have, would need to be loaded and then the plane changed, for all the data to be assimilated - so as I write I think I am answering my own question....but just in case I haven't, can anyone advise? Perhaps this was a function of when the data was exported when the object was scanned - the plane of the export needed to be different.
thanks
Matt
The operation that you are trying to perform is called "Multi-Planar Reconstruction" (or "Reformation"), usually abbreviated as "MPR".

MicroDicom does not support it (yet), but the developer has already stated that this feature is on his "TODO list".

(The various "Flip and Rotate" operations that you tried are all 2D operations, and not the 3D reconstructions that you are seeking.)

There are quite a number of other tools -- many being free and open-source -- that perform MPR and which you can easily find via Google. This thread mentions several of them.