Suggestions to improve local archive and other features.

Suggestions for MicroDicom viewer
dicom_lover

Suggestions to improve local archive and other features.

Post by dicom_lover »

Hi MicroDICOM team,

I've been following your software for the last few years and I think it's an excellent tool for both clinicians and administrators. It runs fast, is easy to use, and has an intuitive interface. Furthermore, some of the recent additions like dicom tag editing and local archive are really awesome features.

I did have some suggestions for polishing up the newly introduced local archive feature and also some other features to improve the user experience, if you don't mind me suggesting.

Local Archive Improvements
  1. If you import a study for a patient named 'ABC' into the local database, and then edit the dicom tags of this study, so that the patient is renamed to 'XYZ'.

The local database will still display the patient name as 'ABC'. The local database never refreshes the displayed data, and the study will always be seen under 'ABC'.

The only way to have the patient displayed under the new name 'XYZ' is to create a copy of the dicom folder, reimport the copied folder into the database. Then delete the old stale record for patient 'ABC'.
    To prevent this long workaround, it would be better if there was a way to automatically or manually refresh a study.
  2. In the local database, it would be nice to have the ability to add extra custom columns.

For instance, we commonly need to see and search by (0020,000D) Study Instance UID and (0020,0032) Issuer of Patient ID as administrators. But I'm sure other customers will have other tags that are important to them.

Here is how this function works and appears in competing software.

3. When you download a study from a remote DICOM server, it then appears in MicroDicom on the left hand side. It would be much easier, if these downloaded studies can be imported into the database as a right click function.

Instead we currently have to navigate to the local database and then click import folder and then navigate to the relevant folder/file structure.
Download from DICOM Server Improvements
  1. When doing C-FIND queries using the Download from DICOM Server function, it would be nice to have custom tags that we can query by. As previously mentioned, we commonly need to see and search by (0020,000D) Study Instance UID and (0020,0032) Issuer of Patient ID.

2. We also sometimes perform C-FIND queries with combinations of >= 2 tags e.g. Patient Name and Patient ID, but Microdicom only allows 1 tag to be searched at a time.

Here's how these 2 suggestions are handled in a competing product:

DICOM tag editing improvements
  1. We commonly want to create a copy of the study, and generate new UIDs for a study (whilst maintaining all other metadata). However there is no way to do so in MicroDicom. If we use the anonymize function as a workaround, it create new UIDs, BUT it will also strip other tags.

Here's how this function appears in other competing products:

2. Edit dicom tags for batches of studies. I believe we can only edit tags for one study at a time, but it would be convenient if the same tag edits could be applied for multiple studies and even multiple patients.
As a regular user of your software, I hope this feedback is useful to you and I hope these can help guide future development. Really appreciate your hard work and dedication so far.

If you ever need any help testing or clarifying or anything at all please reach out.
Regards,
DicomLover
microdicom
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions to improve local archive and other features.

Post by microdicom »

Thank you very much for great feedback. We will consider all your suggestions and when we are done I will write you.
If you have other suggestions, please write to us. It is value for us.
Edit dicom tags for batches of studies. I believe we can only edit tags for one study at a time, but it would be convenient if the same tag edits could be applied for multiple studies and even multiple patients.
There is a combo in the DICOM tags dialog, after the Apply button. When you edit a tag and choose for example patient, this tag will be changed to all images in all studies of a patient.